Ongoing Generation Z Research Studies
Gen Z, also known as iGen, is the fastest emerging generation of employees and customers. This complex, diverse generation—now up to age 22—is also largely misunderstood. At The Center for Generational Kinetics, we lead numerous Gen Z research studies, including our annual State of Gen Z Research Study, to uncover the missing data about Gen Z’s mindset, worldview, behavioral drivers, and must-know trends. We then provide the findings in our annual State of Gen Z research study to you at no cost. On this web page, you can access the findings from our annual State of Gen Z research study for the last several years.
A snapshot of the State of Gen Z study:
- Focuses on hidden and emerging trends of Gen Z as employees, customers, and trendsetters
- Compares Gen Z to Millennials every year
- Has a margin of error of +/-3.1 at a 95% confidence interval
THE STATE OF GEN Z: 2018
The State of Gen Z 2018 took a deep dive into key Gen Z trends and themes critical to know about the generation as they emerge as employees, customers, and trendsetters. This includes looking at Gen Z and their views about brands and brand engagement, technology reliance and expectations, marketing, social media, employment, and much more.
This white paper report provides missing data insights for journalists, brand leaders, executives, entrepreneurs, and those seeking to understand how Gen Z views the world at this critical time in their emergence. There were many, many surprising findings in the 2018 study!
A few of the many surprising findings in the study:
- Gen Z is heavily impacted by online influencers. 45% of Gen Z follows more than 10 online influencers. More than 1 in 10 members of Gen Z follow more than 50 online influencers!
- Gen Z can’t put their phone away—even to sleep. 29% of Gen Z are on their smartphones after midnight every night of the week! This is significantly more than Millennials.
- Gen Z needs more frequent feedback while working than Millennials. In fact, 66% of Gen Z needs feedback from their supervisor at least every few weeks in order to stay at a job.
- And there is so much more in the white paper!
Click HERE to download the State of Gen Z 2018 White Paper Report now!
THE STATE OF GEN Z: 2017
The State of Gen Z 2017 built upon the tremendous response to The Center’s original State of Gen Z inaugural study. In 2017, The Center’s research team focused on how Gen Z, aka iGen, thinks about money, earning money, savings, debt, spending, and retirement. The study also compared Gen Z to Millennials in each of these areas and found some important differences.
The State of Gen Z 2017 is ideal for business leaders, marketers, parents, employers, and educators to know as Gen Z takes the place of Millennials as emerging adults and impacts our economy and our world.
In the State of Gen Z 2017, you will find lots of unexpected insights, including The Center’s groundbreaking research that Gen Z appears to be a throwback generation! We uncovered that Gen Z are fiscally conservative, seeking to get more utility and value from their purchases, and thinking about as well as taking action on saving for retirement. The findings were very unexpected and sparked a global conversation about what Gen Z’s emergence will mean to employers, marketers, banks, financial services, families, and our shared future.
A few of the many surprising Gen Z findings:
- Gen Z is fiscally conservative and already thinking about retirement! In fact, 12% of Gen Z are already saving for retirement and 21% of Gen Z had a savings account before the age of ten!
- Gen Z earns their own money rather than just receiving it as a gift. The State of Gen Z 2017 found that 77% of Gen Z earn their own spending money through freelance work, a part-time job, or earned an allowance.
- Gen Z has an unexpected view of advertisements that directly impacts their trustworthiness. One surprising stat: Gen Z trusts YouTube ads more than any other source!
- And many, many more exciting findings about Gen Z and money in the white paper.
Click HERE to download the 30-page white paper and infographics now!
THE STATE OF GEN Z: 2016
Who is Generation Z? Also known as Gen Z or iGen, this brand-new generation is bringing a tidal wave of change as communicators, influencers, tech users, employees, and consumers. This impending tsunami of generational change led The Center for Generational Kinetics to launch its State of Gen Z annual research study series. The Center’s research team wanted to explore and reveal Gen Z’s mindset and behaviors from multiple angles to inform business strategy, leadership decisions, deliver statistically-valid news insights, and provide actionable data at an incredibly important time in Gen Z’s emergence.
In the first annual State of Gen Z research study, The Center’s team focused on important generational mindset areas including Gen Z and their relationship with technology, how Gen Z is different from Millennials, and Gen Z’s views about politics. The dependence on technology that was uncovered, including its direct impact on Gen Z self-worth, led to significant conversations around the world. In addition, uncovering Gen Z’s emerging political viewpoints and who they trust as leaders helps to highlight the views of the generation as they are now able to vote in elections.
There were so many great findings in the inaugural State of Gen Z study, that we made it into two different white papers!
A few of the many surprising Gen Z findings:
- 42% of Gen Z say social media affects how they feel about themselves
- 50% of Gen Z would use their phone to look for a better price while they were physically shopping at a retail store
- 23% of Gen Z feel the U.S is headed in the right direction while 38% feel that it’s not headed in the right direction
- And much more—especially several unexpected insights about Gen Z and technology
Click HERE to download the detailed white papers and infographics!
Gen Z Research, Consulting, and Keynote Speaking for You
The Center’s acclaimed team of generations experts, researchers, consultants, and keynote speakers can bring cutting-edge information to your next event, marketing or HR challenge, or uncover brand-new insights specific to your goals.
Contact us for information on our services or to schedule a call with our friendly research and consulting teams. We are excited about the change that Gen Z brings as customers and employees—and helping you and your organization unlock the potential that coincides with Gen Z’s emergence.